The Samsung BD-J5900 is probably one of the most economical choices out there right now, as far as region-free players are concerned. As blu-ray technology continues to advance, features that might have only been available in a higher price range are becoming commonplace and much more affordable. Adding an abundance of capability & diversity to your home theater now only costs about the same as the average monthly cable bill, not to mention that it’ll last you several years. The BD-J5900 delivers a heaping handful of great features that make watching, sharing, listening and exploring easier than ever before, and most importantly at a price you can afford.
The BD-J5900 is an upgraded version of last year’s H5900 and features a neatly re-designed shell plus a few other helpful features to make your experience more enjoyable. The model we’re writing about is a region-free version, so keep in mind that some of its capabilities are only available from retailers who sell region-free units – you’re not going to find the region-free model in Best Buy or Wal-Mart.
Where to start? The Samsung BD-J5900 is a rather small & compact package with 11.5″ x 8.7″ x 1.6″ dimensions. It’s not much larger than a sheet of notebook paper and only slightly thicker than your average paperback book. It’s not as tiny as some, but it’s not as large as many models currently on the market. We find the size & weight to be appealing as it helps to save space while still offering a nice look. It has a slightly curved & angled front edge that features your disc tray, a power button and an eject button. It’s simple yet stylish and inviting. Generally speaking, it’s not going to look the least bit awkward and will fit in perfectly with any type and style of home theater components.
This model come direct from the factory with a ton of great capabilities to make your experience faster, better and more complete. When combined with the region-free modification, there’s practically nothing this player cannot do. Let’s take a look at the features included with the BD-J5900.
• Built in Wi-Fi for internet, apps, streaming media & more.
• 3D Playback for the ultimate home theater experience.
• Streaming capability including access to your favorite services such as Netflix, Hulu, Pandora and more.
• HDMI outputs for simple high-quality audio/video connections and optical digital audio output.
• Frontal USB input for easy playback & connection from a variety of devices.
• DNLA compatibility, making it simple to share media wirelessly from other devices on your home network.
• Broad range of file support & playback, including (but not limited to) MPEG-2, MPEG-4, JPEG, HD-JPEG, AVCHD 1.0, MVK, WMV, MPO, MP3, LPCM, AAC, WMA, FLAC.
• Quick-start Mode for faster loading times and less waiting.
• Plenty of HD audio formats for your surround-sound, including Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Digial Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, and DTS-HD Master Audio support.
• DVD up-scaling to provide near HD picture quality from non-HD titles.
• Allshare, for simple screen-mirroring of movies, videos and photos from your favorite mobile devices.
A good question to ask about the BD-J5900 might be “what CAN’T it do?”. In all honesty, there isn’t much it can’t do. With the region-free version, you’re going to achieve even more flexibility than with the factory model thanks to it’s added abilities. The region-free model features worldwide voltage which lets you use this player anywhere in the world, region-free playback so you can watch foreign discs without problems, and built-in PAL/NTSC conversion allowing you to use the player with foreign TVs while eliminating the need for an external audio converter.
Overall, you’re getting a great deal at around $150 for the Region-Free BD-J5900. Instead of a simple Blu-ray player, you’re getting something that’s very capable of harnessing the power of your other wireless devices and working in unison to provide a seemingly endless variety of media possibilities. The only real thing it’s lacking is 4K Ultra HD Playback, but it’ll be a few years before that format is widespread enough to justify needing a player with 4K compatibility. For now, the BD-J5900 provides everything we could ask for. To learn more about the specific details or to Region-Free Samsung BD-J5900 today.