The Region-Free Oppo UDP-203 is the newest Blu-ray Player in Oppo’s lineup and also the company’s first 4K Ultra-HD player. We finally got our hands on a region free version just recently and we have to say that we were quite impressed. It features true Oppo quality, just as we had expected.
One of the first things we noticed upon opening up the box was the weight and feel. If you’ve ever owned or picked up an Oppo Blu-ray player, you’d know what we’re talking about. It’s heavy, sturdy, and feels like something that’s built to last – because it IS built to last. In fact, picking up the Region-Free UDP-203 makes the players from other popular brands feel like a cheap children’s toy.
Tbe UDP-203 has plenty of features for both audio and video, with dual HDMI outputs that support HDMI 2.0 and HDR, as well as a single HDMI input. It also comes equipped with a high-performance DAC with 7.1 channel audio outputs than can be used for 7.1 channel PCM or 5.1 channel DSD to achieve the perfect audio arrangement for our particular preferences and home theater setup. The audio output is managed by premium “Velvet Sound” digital-to-analog audio converters from AKM of Japan, giving some of the best, lossless, reference quality audio available anywhere.
Optical and coaxial digital audio outputs give you even more options for flexibility when it comes to your sound setup. There is also, of course, a RS-232 port which is a staple of high-quality blu-ray players such as the Region Free Oppo UDP-203. For those of you who prefer a hardwired internet connection for speed & security, a Gigabit LAN port is available to connect directly to your internet source. There are 2 USB 3.0 ports at the rear also, plus an additional USB port in the front for quick and easy access.
To ensure durability and playback stability, the UDP-203 features a rigid steel chassis construction. While it surely makes the player more durable, it aids in lending stability and security by reducing the effects of shock and vibration on playback. This isn’t one of those players where the disc skips when the bass hits on your surround sound system, and it’s definitely not going to slowly vibrate off the shelf. At 18 lbs, you’re getting what you pay for – and that’s a player that can handle serious use. Oppo is known for their exceptional build quality and the UDP-203 is no exception.
Keep in mind, that as a Region-Free model, this unit will play anything, anywhere, on practically any TV in the world. This is a true universal player that plays DVDs and Blu-ray discs from any region in the world. It also has worldwide voltage which lets you use it in any country, with any voltage from 110 volts to 240 volts. It also has internal PAL to NTSC conversion which eliminates the need for audio/video converters in foreign countries. It’s a global plug-and-play machine that gives you the flexibility to live, move, or travel anywhere without compatibility issues. We find the region-free aspect to be a highly valuable feature, as aside from travel compatibility, you can watch foreign discs with ease – something important to those of us who truly enjoy foreign cinema.
The Region-Free UDP-203 is 3D ready for playback of 3D titles on any 3D TV. With true 4K UHD resolution, it delivers a picture that cannot be compared to. This is literally 4 times the resolution of HD, with a impressive resolution of 3840 x 2160. Combined with the high-quality components and quad-core video decoder, it renders an amazing picture. Depth, clarity, sharpness and contrast is exceptional as is the rich and true display of color. It’s really one of the best we’ve seen and with Ultra-HD, we think it’ll be quite some time before another manufacturer is able to match the quality and clarity.
The player is loaded with plenty of useful and user-friendly features, too. Built in 802.11ac Wi-Fi gives you fast and easy access to the worldwide web, streaming media & apps (including 4k streaming) and DLNA compatibility with other devices or servers for utilizing your media library. The user interface is clean, fast and user-friendly, making it a breeze to find and share media from other devices on your home network, adjust settings, or search for apps and streaming media. The Wi-Fi holds a solid and speedy connection at all times and we experienced no lagging at any time.
Some of the other features included with the Region Free Oppo UDP-203 Blu-ray Player are:
• Advanced Audio Support –Use all of the latest and greatest audio formats, including Dolby HD, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, or bitsream output for formats like Dolby Atmos or DTS:X.
• Dual HDMI Outputs –If you’re looking for flexibility, the UDP-203 has it. HDMI 2.0 ports allow you to connect to the latest UHD TVs, projectors and receivers. You can also connect to older A/V receivers with a HDMI 1.4 audio port. 4K, HDR-ready quality is ready and waiting.
• 4K Upscaling – For older DVDs or Blu-ray discs of HD or lower resolution, the UDP-203 can upscale the resolution to near-4K quality, giving you the best picture possible, each and every time.
• 4K at 60fps Video – The UDP-203 has support for all current SD, HD, and UHD resolutions including 4k@60p, 4k@50p, 4k@30p and 4k@24p. This includes compatibility for various color systems such as PC RGB, Video RGB, YCbCr 4:4:4, 4:2:2, and 4:2:0.
• Disc & File Format Support – There is nothing this player won’t play. From DVDs and Blu-ray to SACD, it plays everything. It also supports all types of popular media file formats for movies, music, home videos, photos and more.
• Advanced Picture Control – Adjustments for brightness, contrast, hue, saturation and sharpness let you tune your picture to your personal preference, or to compensate for any shortcomings with your other home theater components.
Overall, we were very happy with the Region Free Oppo UDP-203. From its looks to its performance, there was nothing left to be desired. The audio and video quality are both phenomenal, and we think you’d have a rough time finding anything that can out-perform it at the same price. Ultra-fast disc loading times and the ease-of-use were a big bonus for us because these things aren’t as pronounced with other brands and models. We give the Region Free UDP-203 Blu-ray Player a solid 5 stars. It works great, it looks great, it’s superbly built and it performs extremely well. Get your own or learn more about the Region Free Oppo UDP-203 4k Blu-ray Player here, at the guaranteed lowest price.